thanks to jean, rob and i were able to go out for dinner and a movie tonight. though it's usually pretty easy for us to get a sitter, it still seems difficult to get all the stars aligned to coordinate a date night--a movie we both want to see (and spend $9 on--how much are movies in bigger cities now, $15?!), time (no yoga, no softball, no late meetings, etc.) and energy (i make no apologies--sometimes flopping down on the couch is preferable to looking decent and eating upright). this evening, we had some japanese food and saw 'star trek.' i've never had strong feelings one way or another about the series or the movie franchise, but i really, really liked this one. it was funny and exciting and there's something i love about those starfleet uniforms.to clumsily tie the trek tagline and the title of this post into the rest of my day, i'll mention that E and i went to story time at the library today. if she was old enough to reckon time in weeks, i think she'd say that her half-hour with the story lady is a weekly highlight (best parts: when the screen comes down for the movie that ends story time, getting a sticker from the story lady, and of course, the stories, especially when they involve cats--she still talks about that one). we headed downtown a little early and i thought she could romp around on the playset (structure? equipment? jungle gym? what's the accepted parlance now?) for a bit. well, she was having none of it. she liked standing by me or sitting next to me on the bench and commenting on what the other kids were doing or wearing (purely observational, not judgmental), but she didn't want to do any climbing or sliding or swinging of her own. she had a similar reaction when we were passing through the play area of the mall yesterday, where she was intrigued/scared by the statues of herky and his kid sister perky that guard the entrance. ditto the shrieking, running, galavanting kids inside.
kids want to do what they want to do, but i think this often confuses or stymies parents (and by parents, i mean me). i was thinking--"go run and jump and chase and have fun!!!" but this was clearly not her idea of fun. it made me think, "is it her age/developmental stage? first/only kid status? personality? lack of exposure to groups of little kids on a regular basis (things are pretty calm and quiet around here)?" but i'm sure it's a combination of these with a healthy dose of none of the above. thoughts, dear reader?
"I think I like this Eleanor. I too am often content to sit and comment on what others are wearing." -- Orion
ReplyDeleteI hear that ST is a good movie, but I am content knowing that my hubbie was able to enjoy it with another person who could spend hours afterward discussing it. Yes, I sent Ernie on a "playdate" to go see this without me. A win win for all.
ReplyDeleteI think the strangest part of our storytime is trying to explain to Sofia why some of the other kids are running and acting inappropriately in the library (and why their mommies let them !)
If there are a lot of kids at the mall play area, Zach is way more content to watch. He just seems to get overwhelmed when it's really busy. He probably watched more when he was younger, too.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize Herky had a little sister. Interesting.
I asked my cousin's wife today while we were at "The Toy" (isn't this what it was called, old school ICIA kids? in its previous incarnation?) how her last summer was for her as she has a soon-to-be three year old. She said Ian wouldn't just jump up and play by himself (at the time an only child as well) on the big, scary plaything with lots of other kids. But, he did like it when she chased him around the toy. Now, a year later, he was all over the toy with the other kids. Speaking from only child experience, I behaved much more like an adult than a kid throughout my childhood. I'm a big supporter of having more than one kid. :)
ReplyDeleteTwo things:
ReplyDeleteI remember going to storytime at the old ICPL. There was a room in the basement with a tiered floor (picture a movie theater with no seats.) There were colorful murals on the walls, I can't remember the subject matter just lots of primary colors. One time there was a huge python there for all the kids to see. I did not touch it.
The piece of playground equipment outside the new ICPL was called the "kid killer" when it was new, I believe Rob will vouch for this. That particular piece of equipment has since been replaced. I'm not qualified to comment on the new version.
I have no thoughts on the kid killer or whatever it is, but I do think that dude at the leftmost part of the Star Trek image you posted could be Rob when he was young and thin and with a little different hair. Well, maybe. Give me a break–I'm really old now and don't see so well.
ReplyDeletearen't kids funny? you think you can combine your traits with your husband and predict their personalities....then BOOM! they are complete strangers :) it's fun to watch them develop their own jives, though.
ReplyDeleteIt was called the "Kiddee Killer" not the Kid Killer or the Toy. Let's get it right people.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, Herky does not have a little sister... that's a stupid fabrication by people during the statue campaign. Herky only has a bearded old-version.