Friday, May 25, 2007

more posts about knitting and food

hi...remember me?
this is my first post in a looong time and it's nice to be back. now that my first year of teaching full-time is over, i feel like i have a lot more time to be a well-rounded person, doing the things i always used to post about (cooking, crafting, gardening, etc.). before i get on to those things, though, i should mention my big news--yesterday i was officially offered a position as a tenure-track, assistant professor of anthropology at augustana and i accepted! maybe you're thinking, "carrie, isn't that the job you interviewed for back in january and didn't get?" if so, you're right, but since then one of my colleagues took a job elsewhere and because the department had already done a national search for a tenure-track anthropologist this year, they decided to ask the runner-up (me!) to come on board and replace him. this kind of thing rarely happens in academia, so i feel extremely lucky and blessed.
so now, on to the photos...



i've been back on the needles a bit, making baby hats for our own little one and the spring babies born to friends at work. my parents bought me itty bitty hats by susan b. anderson for christmas and i'm finally putting it to good use. it has cute project ideas and also gives great technique directions, so it's been a good all-in-one book to use when trying out new things. i've broadened my knitting horizons to include working in the round on circular needles, switching to double-pointed needles, and making i-cord (to produce the "top knot" on these caps).

a few weeks back, i made my first trip to naomi's kitchen (make it, take it, bake it) in north liberty to fill up our freezer with entrees. i'm counting on our cache of frozen stuff to cut back on shopping and prep time for dinner when the baby arrives. you leave with 24, 2-person portions of each meal you choose, which takes up pretty much all of your freezer space, as you can see (the drawer is completely filled, plus all of those aluminum pans above). we've eaten a few things already (the chicken enchilada bake was a big hit), but are saving most of them till they're really needed. i have to mention that their most popular dish is ham balls. i have never eaten a ham ball, but i felt oddly compelled to try them ("most popular!"). last summer, while waiting my turn at fareway's butcher counter, at least four people ahead of me ordered ham balls. i thought this might be an iowan delicacy i'd yet to be introduced to, but rob (my go-to native iowan) claims ignorance of the ham ball phenomenon. hmmm...

lest you think our diets have been reduced to frozen meat products alone, check out our first week's produce delivery from the sass family farm. we're splitting a share of the farm's summer bounty with our friend john. this week we were delivered a half-dozen eggs, a half-loaf of chocolate chip banana bread, some asparagus, rhubarb, green onions, radishes (any good ideas for radishes, aside from slicing into a salad?), a bag of mixed lettuces and a bag of spinach. fresh, local foods are a wonderful thing!

in pregnancy/baby news, all is well as we rapidly approach week 37 (full-term!). the little one holds his/her own dance party in my belly every evening around 8:30 with lots of movement all over the place. i've had to bump myself up a size in maternity tops as none of my clothes were really fitting over my belly anymore...the other day, bill brought over his grandmother's glider, which we'll be using in the baby's room. many thanks to bill and kathie for letting us borrow this family heirloom!

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job! Very exciting and well deserved!

    I have NEVER heard of ham balls. Amber? I've also been looking into a family farm weely delivery thing... though the email they had didn't work. I'll be interested to hear how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. first, let me say, i didn't really eat pork until i moved here and had barbecue. ham, especially processed ham, was not in my repertoire. i remember forced lunches of ham salad (really ground bologna) from kindergarten babysitter, and still have nightmares about it. that said, i have never heard of ham balls either! bologna or ham? i'll be interested to find out. also, of note -- my friend from high school, lora, started naomi's kitchen, named after her daughter. sounds like business is booming! congrats on the job and welcome back to blogging -- for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Carrie....first of all...congrats on the job! Isn't it grand how the universe works!!!

    Second...cute knitting. I really like knitting in the round...no seams!

    And now...on to ham balls. What is up with all you native Iowegans never hearing of/eating ham balls?. I absolutely love ham balls. Although, I must admit it has been years since I have eaten them. I just don't eat much meat in general and ham/pork specifically anymore. But, believe you me, they are (or can be) absolutely delicious. Guess none of you attended many church/club potlucks as children. Too bad, lots of good food was served at those gatherings! Crap...another sign of my relentless age progression!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what are they? Like ham salad? Or like meatballs made of pork? Hot or cold? I've had plenty-a church potluck meal, but can't remember these.
    I did have pickle and dried-beef rollups for the first time when I worked in Lone Tree, and I quite enjoyed those!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:04 PM

    CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is wonderful news on the job. I'm so proud of you and happy for you! I would say ham balls are a rural thing. Mike's mom makes them often, but I had never had them growing up in the Iowa suburbs. They are pretty good, though. Your hats are adorable. Can't wait to meet the little one! Jack and I will be coming to Iowa City after all the weekend of June 8-10, so if you are still available to hang out, we'd love to see you. We'll be staying at the new swanky Marriott in Coralville, and the pool looks amazing, so you should come over for some non-alcoholic mixed drinks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce is right. Ham balls are great. I can't believe none of my kids remember them. Mom used to make them regularly.

    Also, Carrie, the glider was my great grandmothers, not my grandmothers. Don't mean to be nitpicky, just thought you'd like to know. It belonged to my father's mother's mother. So since this glider is Rob's great great grandmothers, the baby will be rocked in his/her great great great grandmother's chair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why is it that Carrie's first post garners 6 comments in like 10 hours? I can't get 6 comments in 6 months! Don't you guys like construction or what?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:28 PM

    P.S.
    Oh, yes, and I forgot to say--I got hooked on one of our assemble and freeze chains here in Des Moines, Super Suppers, after receiving a baby gift of 12 dinners from a friend. After going a few times, I decided I could do this at home and bought a few freezer cookbooks. They allow me to spend a bit less money and make things I know we'll like. If you decide you want to keep up with the assembling and freezing thing for awhile, let me know and I can give you my favorite recipes and let you borrow the books for photocopying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. betsy -- i call those pickle roll-ups iowa sushi! i love them. and rob -- you do impressive work, but carrie's absence and knitting and food talk make us all swoon!

    ReplyDelete