Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Snap into It!

So last weekend was the big one... Sue and Dave were in town to close on the house Thursday adn then Friday I took the day off and we went to town. For three straight days I worked on the house with a ton of help from Sue and Dave. We went into the house and right off started tearing up the old carpeting. It was nasty! I don't know what kind of dust, dog-hair, cat-pee, infestation came out of it, but it gave me a whopping bad allergy attack and was pretty disgusting. Getting all of that out on the porch by Saturday was nice.


In a stroke of genius I remembered by old buddy Harold Mullinix who I called to bring over his truck. He did and backed it right up to the deck where we were able to dump everything over into it - old carpeting, old tiles, old everything. It was great. Sunday morning he came and got the truck and hauled it away to the dump. I talked to my neighbor (don't know his name yet) who was an older gentleman that reminds me of my grandpa Pilger. He said that he remembers when the carpet was put in!


Also on Friday (and again yesterday) I met with the general contractor and electrical contractors to get some estimates for a lot of things. Now we are just awaiting the damage to see what it will be. Things are rolling along. I'm sure i'll be painting, redoing the basement floor, etc... before too long.

We'll keep posting updates.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! The floor looks pretty great! Hopefully you'll be able to get that tile mess up.
    What percentage will you do youselves (with help, obviously) and what percentage will you hire out?
    I'm so excited to come see it!
    Where will the toy room be? Will you finish the basement so we can send all the cousins to play while we play cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:19 PM

    There will be a playroom in the basement with a padded floor. I am hiring out (including Muller Plumbing) most of the major stuff but there is still a ton to do on my own as well. I would say 75/25 maybe? The basement won't be finished per se, but it will be fixed up and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:35 PM

    So nice to see an update on the howdy do-ers!
    Congrats on the house and the new never-ending to-do list.
    -samantha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:08 PM

    Ah. Good times. Why do you keep buying houses with icky carpet? Seems like just yesterday we were pulling the carpet out of your other house. Oh, and I'm guessing you didn't need me there to kick any squatters out of our garage? sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well there is no garage so no. As far as the carpet... there's always a hidden gem underneath... awesome hardwood floors. Unfortunately lots of people think it's a really good idea to put crappy carpet over nice hardwood floors.

    ReplyDelete