Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blast It!

Over the past 24 hours Carrie and I have been without power. It obviously finally just came on again. After the blizzard in AZ a week ago, we are having some bad weather karma! Iowa suffered a huge ice storm yesterday and it's my understanding that there may have been aroun 100,000 people without electricity. You really do realize how tied into the grid you are when you are lacking power for 24 hours.

It appears that the fish all survived which i'm thankful for. And because it's winter, we were able to put things outside to keep them fresh - instead of the fridge/freezer.

Thanks to Dad and Kathie for putting us up for the night and feeding us.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:09 PM

    I too, was without power for a liitle of 24 hours (all of Burlington, in fact. Bill was the only one of us who didn't lose electricity). I was okay, however. I had plenty of candles, a phone that worked, matches, water, batteries and an old boom box that would work with batteries (so i could listen to radio reports about what the heck was happening). I also have a gas stove so I was able to warm some soup, make some tea and have some instant coffee. I actually was looking forward to the storm so I could just stay inside and knit and read all weekend. Ha Ha, silly me. Here's the thing, even tho I had a whole day with nothing to do....I also couldn't see well enough to read or knit. I want one of those headlight thingys your Mom got for Christmas. It would have been perfect.. People kept calling the radio station complaining because they couldn't order a pizza or watch TV or make a phone call (if they had cordless phones), or use the internet. I finally had to turn it off. It made me wonder what they would do if we REALLY had a crisis...like Katrina for example. I am grateful, however, for all I have and for living in a place with such relative abundance and prosperity. We really are WAY better off than most of us realize on a daily basis. Okay, I'll shut up now. Love to y'all!

    ReplyDelete