Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Much Too Early

Two nights ago... a friend of mine and player on our City Sluggers softball team passed away while actually playing softball. Many of you know him as he was a 1985 (i believe) City High grad who owned the Heyns Ice Cream store on 1st Avenue in Iowa City. It was some really sad news and came as a complete shock. Paul was a really nice person and always seemed to have a good attitude about everything. The laid back way that he seemed to deal with things always made me a bit envious... it's a personality trait that I wish I showed more of. It seems cheesy and lame to express the same old things that everyone else is saying about him. Mainly what I know is that the world isn't as good a place without him in it. I'm sure things will really begin to settle in next year when he isn't around as the season begins.

His obituary can be found HERE

Times like this always make one reflect about things that they are thinking and doing at whatever point they might be at in their lives. I guess, simply, that's because we're all going to get to this point some day. Hopefully not as early and as tragically as Paul... but it's quite obviously inevitable.

The world is such and interesting and dangerous place right now. There is more apprehension and worry than I can ever remember... and probably more than many people far older than me can remember. People, economic markets, religions, governments, etc... are all in a state of flux, if not upheaval. It's hard not to feel like things are on a very dangerous precipice right now. Things like this, however unrelated, really make you think about all of these things.

I hope that Paul is in a better place and I hope that the ills of the world can slowly begin to right themselves and all of us can feel safer and more kinship to our fellow human beings.

2 comments:

  1. some very sad stuff. i have loads of memories of walking to and partaking of heyn's ice cream. -amber c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:09 PM

    Rob
    Although people left behind can be very sad, try to take heart in the fact that your friend died while doing something he loved....and apparently died relatively quickly. I know it may sound un-caring to some, but I think it was quite a way to leave the planet. Not many people are as "fortunate" in their passing.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete