LAST WEEKEND:
Carrie and I traveled to Madison, WI last weekend for a vacation that I wish we could do every year. This was the first time we'd gone since 3 years ago when we drove my brand new truck up. It's 3 hours on the nose and I love the drive up there. We went with the purpose of getting some Christmas shopping done, going to Whad'Ya Know at the Monona Terrace and just enjoying the city.
Friday night when we arrived, we checked into the Lowell Center where we stay - kind of the Madison version of the Iowa House. It's not too fancy, but for $80 a night it's pretty good. And the location is awesome. You can walk right out onto the State St. mall. We ate at the Great Dane Brew Pub which is a favorite of ours (and many others.) It's what a Brew Pub should be - excellent beer and excellent food. Carrie had some sort of vegetarian thingy and I had a delicious BBQ meatloaf covered in Onion Rings... mmmmmmm.
On Saturday morning we headed to the Marigold Kitchen - another favorite that Carrie discovered. It's very cozy and has delicious food and friendly people. Bottomless cups of coffee and their apple smoked bacon are yum! After a leisurely breakfast we headed to the Terrace for the radio show. We milled around a bit and called Sue to get her Christmas list (again - I forgot it.) We were second in line for the show and sat right in front. About 1/2 way through, Carrie got picked to read the 4 disclaimers and I was selected for the quiz. I WON! Big surprise - never heard anyone lose. You can hear the show here. Listen to PART 2 at about 15 minutes in. (December 2, 2006 show.) You can listen to the whole show too. I have it on CD if anyone wants a hard copy. Like an idiot, I didn't bring the camera and Carrie could have gotten a sweet shot of me right on stage - oh well. I have the CD anyway, and a signed copy of his book that Michael wrote "YO ROB, INSPECT THIS!" in. It was a great time.
Carrie and I traveled to Madison, WI last weekend for a vacation that I wish we could do every year. This was the first time we'd gone since 3 years ago when we drove my brand new truck up. It's 3 hours on the nose and I love the drive up there. We went with the purpose of getting some Christmas shopping done, going to Whad'Ya Know at the Monona Terrace and just enjoying the city.
Friday night when we arrived, we checked into the Lowell Center where we stay - kind of the Madison version of the Iowa House. It's not too fancy, but for $80 a night it's pretty good. And the location is awesome. You can walk right out onto the State St. mall. We ate at the Great Dane Brew Pub which is a favorite of ours (and many others.) It's what a Brew Pub should be - excellent beer and excellent food. Carrie had some sort of vegetarian thingy and I had a delicious BBQ meatloaf covered in Onion Rings... mmmmmmm.
On Saturday morning we headed to the Marigold Kitchen - another favorite that Carrie discovered. It's very cozy and has delicious food and friendly people. Bottomless cups of coffee and their apple smoked bacon are yum! After a leisurely breakfast we headed to the Terrace for the radio show. We milled around a bit and called Sue to get her Christmas list (again - I forgot it.) We were second in line for the show and sat right in front. About 1/2 way through, Carrie got picked to read the 4 disclaimers and I was selected for the quiz. I WON! Big surprise - never heard anyone lose. You can hear the show here. Listen to PART 2 at about 15 minutes in. (December 2, 2006 show.) You can listen to the whole show too. I have it on CD if anyone wants a hard copy. Like an idiot, I didn't bring the camera and Carrie could have gotten a sweet shot of me right on stage - oh well. I have the CD anyway, and a signed copy of his book that Michael wrote "YO ROB, INSPECT THIS!" in. It was a great time.
After the show we did an afternoon of shopping on State Street and a little area to the South of Camp Randall stadium as well. All of it was very cool but perhaps the coolest store was a little kids clothing store called Wild Child. It was absolutely awesome. Great hand decorated clothes, cool German toys, neato baby carriers, and all thoughtfully done - organic fabrics, etc...
Sunday morning we headed home but not before stopping for breakfast at Mickie's Dairy Bar which is S of the stadium. Sorry Hamburg Inn but this place is even better. I had the most delicious blueberry pancake ever. Carrie had a sort of strange chocolate chip one. And the eggs and sausage were delicious.
The drive home was beautiful and sunny. A fun time if anyone ever wants to join us for the next go around.
doy! one of the few saturdays i missed WYK! sounds like a great trip! i, too, enjoy madison and hope to get jeff up there for an inaugural visit one of these days.
ReplyDelete